Postgraduate Course: Systematic Review (DENT12068)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Design and organisation of a Systematic Review, with a systematic literature search, appraisal of methodological quality, data extraction and evaluation and narrative synthesis in preparation for a peer-reviewed publication.
A Systematic Review of primary research on a health-care intervention relevant to the appropriate discipline will be undertaken to identify, collate and appraise the relevant literature. The taught component of this course will be restricted to minimal use of lecture/seminar-format and particular emphasis will be placed on independent and autonomous academic study throughout the duration of the programme with appropriate tutor support and feedback.
The Systematic Review will be prepared in the format of a peer-reviewed publication, submitted in written format six weeks prior to the assessment and will be marked independently by two examiners. The student will present the Systematic Review in a verbal presentation which will be followed by a structured oral assessment and will be assessed by the same two examiners who graded the written review.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework - 60%
Oral exam - 40%
||Feedback is generally provided within three weeks of the coursework submission/examination.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Independently obtain, critically appraise, summarise and synthesise clinical- and research material from a range of appropriate sources and prepare as a Systematic Review for peer-reviewed publication
- Demonstrate the scientific principles of critical evaluation and analytical thinking for a range of clinical problems
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively through written- and verbal communications
- Demonstrate the ability to assimilate a personal development plan
- Demonstrate the ability to determine evidence-based best-practice according to individual patient need
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Systematic Review,critical appraisal,literature search,data extraction
|Course organiser||Dr Jennifer Foley
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979