Undergraduate Course: Foundation Portuguese Language 1 (ELCH07012)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 7 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||A course for beginners with no previous knowledge of Portuguese, designed to give absolute beginners a basic, working knowledge of spoken and written Portuguese. The course is not suitable for students with previous knowledge of Portuguese.
All students take all elements of assessment, including the examination. Auditing (Class Only) is not allowed.
Foundation Portuguese Language 1 is intended for complete beginners and aims to equip students with a basic grounding in written and spoken Portuguese.
At the end of this course, students should reach approximately level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Students who pass the course will be eligible to continue studying Portuguese in Foundation Portuguese Language 2.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| A coursebook and a bilingual dictionary
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 40,
Formative Assessment Hours 2,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework - 50% (a mixture of grammar, listening comprehension and oral assessment)
Degree Exam - 50% (A two-hour written paper)
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||Foundation Portuguese Language 1||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Communicate with reasonable accuracy in familiar contexts on familiar topics in an elementary level (A1) in Portuguese.
- Understand broadly the context of Portuguese-speaking cultures and language nuances (from Brazil, Portugal and Lusophone Africa).
- Assess straightforward spoken and written information about familiar everyday, study or work related topics, identifying both general messages and specific details.
- Develop effective communication, presentation and interaction skills across a range of media, on both a spontaneous and prepared basis.
- The acquisition of a basic language competence and a vocabulary of 600/700 words should be expected to allow the oral and written production of simple phrases, and to understand short passages where the context is clear and identified.
|"Portugues XXI - Livro do Aluno + CD1" - handbook|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||This course is open to all students as a credit bearing course, or over and above their full credit load, as a non credit bearing course.
Auditing this course is not allowed. You must be enrolled as CE (Class and Assessment including centrally arranged exam).
DELC students may only take this course if it over and above their full credit load, as a non credit bearing course.
Visiting students may only take the course for credits.
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||Students must attend pairs of classes. See Web Timetable.
Classes for this course will appear on students' personalised timetable.
|Course organiser||Miss Helena MacDonald
Tel: (0131 6)51 3089
|Course secretary||Miss Kat Zabecka
Tel: (0131 6)50 4026