Undergraduate Course: Portuguese 1 (ELCH08012)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This is an intensive course of tuition in spoken and written Portuguese for students with little or no previous knowledge of the language.
The course is open to students of any year and from other programmes, but priority will be given to students who have Portuguese as a named component in their degree. The number of students admitted is strictly limited to 30. A great deal of private study is necessary to meet the requirements of the course.
Auditing (Class only) is not allowed.
The course will run for four hours a week throughout the year. Different points of grammar will be covered on a weekly basis in a grammar lecture and these will be reinforced in spoken and written language classes. In Semester 1 the fourth hour will be dedicated to reading, listening and video comprehension exercises. In Semester 2, students will study appropriate literary texts and film.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| Auditing (Class only) is not allowed.
|Additional Costs|| Textbooks costing approximately £35
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 20,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 60,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||As well as regular non-assessed written exercises, assessed coursework will consist of:
1 oral presentation
1 listening comprehension
2 class tests,
2: 1,000 word commentaries (in English) on a literary topic (only in Semester 2)
All language exercises will be marked out of 100. The marks for these assessments will make up 40% of the total year assessment. The remaining 60% will be decided by the May Degree Examinations (Oral examination, 20%; Language component of examination, 20%; literature component, 20%).
||Students will receive oral/written feedback on weekly homework and online for the Literature commentaries.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a familiarity with everyday Portuguese vocabulary, grammar and syntax, along with a broad understanding of Portuguese-speaking cultures and language nuances (from Brazil, Portugal and Lusophone Africa).
- Assess straightforward spoken and written information about familiar everyday, study or work related topics, identifying both general messages and specific details.
- Communicate with reasonable accuracy in familiar contexts on familiar topics both orally and in writing, expressing personal opinions, and comparing and contrasting those of others.
- Develop effective communication, presentation and interaction skills across a range of media
- Demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, and the ability to work flexibly with others as part of a team.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC Portuguese 1
|Course organiser||Miss Helena MacDonald
Tel: (0131 6)51 3089
|Course secretary||Miss Kat Zabecka
Tel: (0131 6)50 4026