Undergraduate Course: Italian Language 2 (ELCI08004)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Italian Language 2 aims to consolidate the progress made in first year expanding vocabulary, syntax and grammar while further enhancing awareness to different registers and styles.
Alongside strengthening the language and in preparation for the third year abroad, the course intends to address contemporary cultural aspects of the Italian society, which will also be tackled and studied more in-depth in the co-requisite course, Texts in Context.
One grammar seminar and two language tutorials a week.
Tutorials will tend to be focused on written, aural/oral activities.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Entry to any language course above introductory level is subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 22,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 44,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||2 Written language tests 12%
Writing Portfolio 8%
1 Listening test 8%
1 Oral Test + Portfolio 12%
||Written explanations, corrections and suggestions for improvement provided by tutors on all marked work.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a more precise and nuanced command of Italian vocabulary and structures, along with a deeper understanding of different styles and registers.
- Enhance the understanding of complex oral/written texts on less familiar topics and the relevant cultural references.
- Consolidate skills of written and oral self-expression and produce more cohesive and accurate texts (argumentative, creative, summary, dialogue, etc.)
- Develop effective communication, presentation and interaction skills on impromptu or prepared basis.
- Demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, and the ability to work responsibly, independently or as part of a team.
(Semester 1): Spazio Italia 3, Loescher 2015
(Semester 2): Spazio Italia 4, Loescher 2015
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
1 Grammar Seminar (Monday)
2 Language Tutorials (Tuesday and Thursday )
|Keywords||DELC Italian 2 Lang
|Course organiser||Dr Luana Babini
Tel: (0131 6)51 1360
|Course secretary||Miss Fiona Jack
Tel: (0131 6)50 3635