Undergraduate Course: Power Conversion 4 (ELEE11078)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course will develop understanding of fundamental power electronic building blocks and modulation techniques, employed in solid-state power converters. The concept of switch mode power conversion will be developed starting with basic circuits and extended to more complex topologies and functions, including the generation of two and three phase ac waveforms. The course will introduce a range of power electronic devices and show how the properties these devices affect the design and performance of power converters. A range of case studies will be used to illustrate how power electronics may be applied to a real world applications.
1. Switch-mode power conversion.
2. DC-DC conversion.
3. AC-DC conversion.
4. Power semiconductor devices.
5. Switching Transients
6. Losses and thermal management.
7. Passive components
8. Applications (Power management, Machines drives, Power Systems)
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Basic knowledge of Electronic Circuits and Electrical Machines.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Have a sound understanding of the operation of power electronic converters and their use in a range of applications.
- Have a sound understanding of power semiconductor behavior and its impact on circuit design and performance.
- Be able to carry out calculations to perform designs and evaluate the performance of power electronic converters.
- Be able to understand the modulation of DC-AC converters and perform basic calculations of ac power flows.
|┐Power Electronics: Converters, Applications and Design┐ by Ned Mohan,┐ Tore M. Undeland,┐ William P. Robbins.|
┐Voltage-Sourced Converters in Power Systems : Modeling, Control, and Applications┐ Amirnaser Yazdani, Reza Iravani
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Power Electronics,Machine Drives,Power Engineering,Electrical Machines,Power Converters
|Course organiser||Prof Stephen Finney
Tel: (0131 6)50 5724
|Course secretary||Mrs Megan Inch-Kellingray
Tel: (0131 6)51 7079