Postgraduate Course: Project Preparation (INFR11173)
|School||School of Informatics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course comprises all aspects of the planning for the individual research project and is undertaken by the student in conjunction with the project supervisor(s). The student and supervisor(s) will agree the topic of the project, after which the student will conduct initial reading to refine the scope of the project and to inform the development of a detailed plan for its implementation. The student will deliver awritten report and make an oral presentation that both describe the background to the project and outline the plan for its successful completion.
This course encompasses the selection and preparation phase for a dissertation project in High Performance Computing or High Performance Computing with Data Science. The precise topics covered will vary depending on the individual project selected.
- Report writing
- Academic misconduct and how to avoid it
- Professional Skills
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 10,
Summative Assessment Hours 1,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||90% Coursework + 10% Oral Presentation
||Provided through interaction with supervisor and on assessed work.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- On completion of this course students should be able to: Describe in writing the scope of the topic of their individual research project.
- Deliver a written project proposal, to be agreed with the project supervisor(s), which includes a workplan, risk analysis and indications of additional work that can be undertaken if time allows.
- Present to a lay audience, including other members of the MSc programme, a description of the project topic and the proposed workplan.
- Review and understand relevant material and background to a project.
- Report writing/Project Management and Tracking/Monitoring
|Dependent on project topic, initial list provided on project wiki by individual supervisors1. On completion of this course students should be able to: Describe in writing the scope of the topic of their individual research project.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Effective written and diagrammatic communication.
Reflection on learning and practice.
Solution Exploration, Evaluation and Prioritisation.
Presentation of complex data to varied audience.
||Only available to students on the MSc Programmes in High Performance Computing or High Performance Computing with Data Science.
|Keywords||Project Preparation,EPCC,HPC,HPCwDS,Parallelism,Data Science,Professional Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Elena Breitmoser
Tel: (0131 6)50 64 94
|Course secretary||Mr Ben Morse
Tel: (0131 6)51 3398