University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of Law : Law

Undergraduate Course: The Origins of Modern Commerce (LAWS10181)

Course Outline
SchoolSchool of Law CollegeCollege of Humanities and Social Science
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate) AvailabilityAvailable to all students
SCQF Credits20 ECTS Credits10
SummaryThe course provides an introduction to the main aspects of commerce during the early modern period. It surveys the main changes in the financial and economic structure of trade and the relevant legal instruments. The course will devote special attention to the development of the Netherlands and of Dutch commerce, so to understand the evolution from medieval to modern trade and the development of British commerce, which in many aspects followed the Dutch. Banking, corporations, insurance, negotiable instruments and public debt will be studied following their historical evolution and within the broader political, economic and institutional context.
Course description The course will trace the main developments of commerce within the historical, social and economic framework of the early modern period. Specific attention will be devoted to the Netherlands.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Information for Visiting Students
High Demand Course? Yes
Course Delivery Information
Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1) Quota:  25
Course Start Semester 1
Timetable Timetable
Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info) Total Hours: 200 ( Seminar/Tutorial Hours 20, Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4, Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours 176 )
Assessment (Further Info) Written Exam 0 %, Coursework 100 %, Practical Exam 0 %
Additional Information (Assessment) 2 essays - one due in the middle of the course (30%)of 2,500 words, the other due at the end of the course (70%) 3,500 words.
Feedback Not entered
No Exam Information
Learning Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
  1. Knowledge and Sources of Law: Demonstrate and/or work with: - Knowledge that covers and integrates most of the principal areas, features, boundaries, terminology and conventions of a subject discipline. - A critical understanding of the principal theories, concepts and principles. - Detailed knowledge and understanding in one or more specialisms some of which is informed by or at the forefront of a subject/discipline. - Knowledge and understanding of the ways in which the subject/discipline is developed, including a range of established techniques of enquiry or research methodologies.
  2. Subject-specific Skills: Critically identify, define, conceptualise, and analyse complex/professional level problems and issues. Offer professional level insights, interpretations and solutions to problems and issues. Critically review and consolidate knowledge, skills, practices and thinking in a subject/discipline.
  3. General Transferable Intellectual Skills: Demonstrate some originality and creativity in dealing with professional level issues. Make judgments where data/information is limited or comes from a range of sources.
  4. Key Personal Skills: Knowledge and understanding as well as the practice of it, transferable cognitive skills, communication and ICT skills, autonomy, accountability and the ability to work with others.
  5. Subject-specific Legal and Ethical Values: An appreciation of the value of history in recreating the past and influencing the present.
Reading List
Additional Information
Graduate Attributes and Skills Not entered
KeywordsThe Origins of Mod Commerce
Course organiserDr Guido Rossi
Tel: (0131 6)50 2052
Course secretaryMs Tracy Noden
Tel: (0131 6)50 2053
Help & Information
Search DPTs and Courses
Degree Programmes
Browse DPTs
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Combined Course Timetable
Important Information