Postgraduate Course: Continuing Professional Development - Listening to Children: Research and Consultation (PGSP11068)
|School||School of Social and Political Science
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This is a CPD course aimed at people who wish to develop their skills in research and consultation, in relation to children and young people. It provides an opportunity to explore the ethical issues and practical skills involved in undertaking research and consultation with children and young people, both individually and in groups.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| It is RECOMMENDED that students have passed
Social Science Research Methods (LAWS11048)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| This is a CPD course. Fees will be paid by students to cover the costs of the course.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| By the end of the course and independent study, students should be able to (in relation to children and young people):
* explore the ethical considerations in undertaking research and consultation
* reflect on the impact of different conceptual understandings of childhood
* discuss how to identify your research question and select an appropriate research method
* review methods and techniques of data collection and data analysis
* develop an informed view on the extent to which conducting research with children is significantly different from conducting research with adults
* discuss how to tackle sensitive topics
* consider the variations among children (by factors such as gender, ethnicity, cultural and linguistic backgrounds, disability, and age) and how these impact upon research and consultation
* consider how children can be involved as part of the research team
* look at ways to present and disseminate your findings and to feedback to your participants.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Enrolment will solely be through the Centre for Research on Families and Relationships.
|Course organiser||Dr Susan Elsley
Tel: (0131 6)50 4635
|Course secretary||Mrs Gillian MacDonald
Tel: (0131 6)51 3244