Postgraduate Course: Dental Materials Science (PROS12002)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course aims to cover key attributes of dental material science as applied to the restorative and prosthodontic care of a patient.
By completing this course students will have greater awareness of the vast range of dental materials available on commercial dental markets. They will also critically explore the current scientific literature and experimental models used in their verification so as to inform their practice.
Practical implementation of a treatment plan, requires detailed knowledge of a wide range of dental materials and how to manipulate them. Understanding material behaviour will also enable effective communication of their advantages and disadvantages when gaining informed consent for treatment.
This course is delivered using seminars, lectures and pre-recorded lectures (delivered using Media Hopper via Learn VLE). It will also supplement courses for removable prosthodontics and fundamentals of fixed prosthodontics.
Topics covered include:
1. Material properties
2. Direct restorative materials
3. Dental Ceramics
4. Dental alloys
5. Dentine bonding
6. Denture base materials
7. Cement lutes
8. Impression, provisional and bite registration materials.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2018/19, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||100% written exam
||Feedback is generally provided within three weeks of the exam date.
||Hours & Minutes
|Outwith Standard Exam Diets June||0:30|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of dental material properties in the prosthodontic management of patients.
- Have knowledge of commonly utilised laboratory tests used to assess dental materials.
- Apply their understanding of dental material properties to situations of restoration failure to determine their cause.
- Demonstrate an understanding of material property differences for dental restorations fabricated using traditional or Computer Assisted Design Computer Assisted Manufacturing (CADCAM) processes.
|Reading lists will be provided via Learn VLE and Discovered.|
Additional supporting resources will be provide via pre-recorded lectures and clinical demonstrations accessible from Media Hopper (accessed through Learn VLE).
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||1. Develop a comprehensive knowledge base of dental materials.
2. Be able to problem solve types of restoration failure.
3. Demonstrate critical thinking in Prosthesis design influenced by dental material choice and its potential impact on longevity.
|Keywords||Dental Material Science,DMS,Prosthodontics
|Course organiser||Dr Krishna Bhatia
Tel: (0131) 536 3976
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979