Undergraduate Course: General Scottish History Paper (SCHI10025)
|School||School of History, Classics and Archaeology
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This paper is taken only by those students on the single honours Scottish History degree. There is no course attached to it and it is designed to test the students' ability to reflect in a general way on major issues in Scottish History and historiography.
There is no course attached to this paper.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| A pass in 40 credits of third level historical courses or equivalent.
Before enrolling students on this course, Directors are asked to contact the History Honours Admission Administrator to ensure that a place is available (Tel: 503780).
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate, by way of examination as required, command of the general aspects of Scottish history and an ability to reflect on them in an informed manner.
- demonstrate, by way of examination as required, an ability to read, analyse and reflect critically upon relevant scholarship;
- demonstrate, by way of examination as required, an ability to understand, evaluate and utilise a variety of primary source material;
- demonstrate, by way of examination as required, the ability to develop and sustain scholarly arguments in written form, by formulating appropriate questions and utilising relevant evidence;
- demonstrate independence of mind and initiative; intellectual integrity and maturity; an ability to evaluate the work of others, including peers.
|M Lynch, Scotland: A New History (London, 1992)|
M Lynch (ed.), The Oxford Companion to Scottish History (Oxford, 2001)
T.M.Devine, The Scottish Nation: A Modern History (London, 2011)
T.M.Devine and Jenny Wormald (eds), The Oxford Handbook of Modern Scottish History (Oxford, 2012)
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||There are no scheduled class hours, this is a general, or synoptic, paper which builds on knowledge gained in courses taken by single honours Scottish History Students.
|Keywords||General Scottish Paper
|Course organiser||Prof Ewen Cameron
Tel: (0131 6)50 4031
|Course secretary||Miss Lorna Berridge