Undergraduate Course: Practical Japanese 2- Year Abroad Preparation (ASST08044)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course provides a series of workshops, tutorials and consultation sessions to the second year MA Japanese and MA Japanese and Linguistics students for essential practical skills and tips before the year abroad in Japan in their third year.
This course will offer support for the students preparing for the year abroad in the 3rd year so that they are able to fill in the application forms, both in Japanese and in English, of an exchange programme for their year abroad. It will also help students prepare psychologically and emotionally for the year abroad to survive in Japan in various situations, by deepening their knowledge of Japanese culture, manners, and society in more practical contexts.
Students will also practise how to conduct various online language tasks from UoE while they are on the year abroad in Japan. Through making detailed study plans during their second and third years, students will become successful autonomous and self-motivated learners who are responsible for their own learning.
There are four elements:
Semesterly study plans to monitor their own progress
Preparation sessions for Japanese Language 3: practice how to do the online tasks (individual and group work)
Year Abroad preparation: in Semester 2, there is more focus on the year abroad preparation with application forms
Joint online activities with Japanese 3 students: students will get a glimpse of life in Japan through direct input from the third-year students in Japan.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 11,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Practical exams 100%.
Your work will be assessed in two ways:
i. By attending and participating actively in the tutorial session(s) for all components.
ii. By completing the regular assignments and assessments during the tutorial session(s) for the relevant component, such as reports, language quizzes and tests, presentations. A successful completion of an exchange programme application to his/her host university in Japan is also included as a part of assessment.
A pass for this course is normally a requirement for progression to Honours.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- use VLE and learning technology at UoE, and other online resources and devices for language learning more confidently and effectively, to be able to conduct various online language tasks from UoE while the students are on their third year abroad in Japan.
- read various types of authentic texts relating to exchange programmes at Japanese universities for their third year abroad, and to complete their application documents, in Japanese or English.
- acquire further knowledge of Japanese culture, society and customs in the context of living in Japan so that they are equipped to adapt to life in Japan
- draw up their own self-study plan with clear goals towards the end of their third year abroad in Japan.
- communicate well with others for collaborative work, defining their own and others¿ roles, responsibilities and contributions
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Ms Fumiko Narumi-Munro
Tel: (0131 6)50 6971
|Course secretary||Mrs Vivien MacNish Porter
Tel: (0131 6)50 3528