Undergraduate Course: Foundation Italian Language 2 (ELCI07006)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 7 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||A course for students with a National 5 / GCSE / Standard Grade / Foundation 1 or CEFR A1/A1+ in Italian who wish to improve.
1. Auditing (Class Only) is not allowed. All students must take all elements of assessment, including the examination.
2. Students will be assigned a group and each group has two classes a week. You must be able to attend both classes in order to take the course.
3. Students with a higher level of the language than stated above are not permitted and may be asked to withdraw from the course.
Foundation Italian Language 2 is the follow-up to the 40 hour Foundation Italian Language 1 course. Students who have successfully completed Foundation Italian 1 or have an equivalent knowledge (e.g GCSE or Standard Grade) in the language will be ideally suited for this course.
This course is not suitable for students who have Highers, A-Level, or knowledge above CEFR level A1. At the end of the course students should have reached approximately CEFR level A2/1. Students wishing to continue learning Italian will be eligible to join Italian 1 ELCI08001 in the next academic year.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| It is RECOMMENDED that students have passed
Foundation Italian Language 1 (ELCI07007)
||Other requirements|| If not taken Foundation Italian 1: Italian at Standard Grade (SCE)/GCSE or equivalent evidence of proficiency.
|Additional Costs|| A course book approximately
A bilingual dictionary
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Entry to any language course above introductory level is subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 20,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 20,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Class work 50% (2 assessments)
Degree exam 50% (a two-hour written examination)
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- At the end of the course successful learners will be able
- to acquire a vocabulary of approximately 1000 Italian words;
- to use correctly the present, future and past tenses of the indicative, as well as some conditional and imperative forms of common regular, irregular and reflexive verbs.
- to communicate at a post- elementary level (A1/2) in daily routine situations;
- to interact in a simple but coherent language, using complete sentences, and with mistakes that only occasionally compromise the meaning.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||This course is open to all students as a credit bearing course, or over and above their full credit load, as a non credit bearing course.
Please note that auditing this course is not allowed. You must be enrolled as CE (Class and Assessment including centrally arranged exam).
DELC students may only take this course if it over and above their full credit load, as a non credit bearing course. Visiting Students may only take this course for credits.
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||IMPORTANT: Students must attend pairs of classes. See Web Timetable.
Please see your personalised timetable for location.
|Course organiser||Dr Luana Babini
Tel: (0131 6)51 1360
|Course secretary||Ms Marleen March
Tel: (0131 6)50 6949