Undergraduate Course: Danish Language 2 (ELCS08008)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
On this 1-year course at Scandinavian Studies you will continue to improve your speaking, comprehension, reading and writing of the Danish language, and you will be moving on to more complex grammar, fine-tuning your pronunciation and building on your vocabulary. Along with the assessments, you are required to do a set amount of homework as preparation for each class. You will also be doing frequent mini-presentations in class and writing texts to hand in.
Jeg ględer mig til at undervise jer og arbejde sammen med jer!
Danish Language 2 is a full-year 20-credit course taught for 3 hours a week in Semester 1 and 2 hours a week in Semester 2, partly in the target language. The aim of the course is to build on and develop the skills acquired in first year so that, by the end of the session, the student will be linguistically competent to study at a Danish university, having reached CEFR level B2. Students will be able:
1. to speak at a level that encompasses everyday situations and a wide range of topics in current affairs and general culture
2. to write the language accurately using all the main grammatical structures and with an
ability to vary register according to the main types of informal and formal usage
3. to comprehend ordinary speech at natural speed in everyday situations and to understand the spoken language as, for instance, used in radio/TV documentaries, lectures and discussions
4. to be capable of following a university course in the target language in subject areas that the student is specialising in.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Entry to any language course above introductory level is subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 66,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
- 1 x written language assessment (15%)
- 1 x listening/writing assessment (20%)
- 1 x combined written exercise/oral exercise assessment (20%)
- 1 x oral assessment (15%)
- 1 x 2-hour written degree examination (30%)
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Continue to develop a more nuanced command of Danish vocabulary, grammar and syntax; along with a critical understanding of a range of more specific areas in Danish culture.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the main ideas of complex speech on concrete and abstract topics, and an ability to rapidly grasp the content and significance of a range of written material.
- Write at length about topical and cultural issues in a critical manner summarising information accurately and developing a clear argument.
- Further develop effective communication, presentation and interaction skills across a range of media, on both an impromptu and prepared basis.
- Demonstrate self-reliance, initiative, and the ability to work creatively and flexibly with others as part of a team.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC Danish 2 Lang
|Course organiser||Ms Julie Larsen
Tel: (0131 6)51 1363
|Course secretary||Miss Gillian Paterson
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646