Undergraduate Course: Software Engineering Large Practical (INFR09045)
|School||School of Informatics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||**Replaced by new course - Informatics Large Practical (INFR09051)**
The Software Engineering Large Practical exposes students to the problems that arise with the design and implementation of large scale software systems, and to methods of coping with such problems. Students will gain experience in how to:
- Design clearly and coherently structured systems
- Choose the appropriate means of implementation
- Discover and use relevant information
- Schedule their work load
- Present their work in a clear and concise way.
This 20 credit course replaces INFR09039 AI Large Practical (10 credits).
This project gives students experience in developing a non-trivial software system and providing some analysis of its behaviour. In particular the student gains practical experience of:
- Proposal: negotiating well-scoped and dened requirements for the practical.
- Design: constructing a design at a level of detail that allows some prediction of the behaviour of the system without committing to implementation detail.
- Implementation: implementing and testing a working prototype of the design.
Relevant QAA Computing Curriculum Sections: Computer Based Systems, Software Engineering, Systems Analysis and Design, Professionalism
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Show awareness of current software engineering technologies and demonstrate the ability to select the appropriate technologies for a project.
- Present a convincing proposal for a software development project.
- Show awareness of the difference between design and implementation in software development.
- Demonstrate proficiency with modern software development platforms and frameworks.
- Exhibit the ability to manage a medium- to large-scale software development project from proposal to final implementation.
|Course organiser||Dr Stephen Gilmore
Tel: (0131 6)50 5189
|Course secretary||Miss Lisa Branney
Tel: (0131 6)51 7607