Postgraduate Course: MSc by Research Thesis (Data Science; 120pt) (INFR11107)
|School||School of Informatics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Students will pursue a year long research project in Data Science which results in a written dissertation. The research must demonstrate competence, knowledge, and be presented in a critical and scholarly way, demonstrating that the student is capable of undertaking independent research.
For this 120 credit project, the dissertation will normally include a more extensive investigation and critical evaluation of the topic, the use of more advanced methodology, or more time-intensive research methods than in a 90 credit project.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| For students on the MSc by Research in Data Science only - by special permission.
This course can only be chosen by students with sufficient background in data science to justify partial exemption from the programme's coursework requirements.
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Structure, summarise and critically evaluate a body of knowledge relating to a substantial project topic in Informatics
- Conduct a programme of work in further investigation of issues related to the topic
- Discuss and solve conceptual problems which arise during the investigation
- Critically evaluate the investigation, including design choices made
- Present their work orally and visually, with demonstration of working artifacts where appropriate
|Course organiser||Dr Adam Lopez
Tel: (0131 6)50 4430