Undergraduate Course: Facets of Mathematics (MATH08068)
|School||School of Mathematics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course aims to explore the wide range of applications of mathematics, and links to other areas that are present in today's world. This course is centred around three components in different areas of mathematics.
The content of the components is not fixed, but there will normally be one each in Pure mathematics, Mathematical Modelling and Operational Research.
In each component, some basic techniques from the chosen area will be studied and there will also be some exploration of their applications in the modern world. Applications of the area in general and its relationship to other topics will also be discussed.
Another aim of the course is to develop important skills in teamwork and in presenting mathematics. Some instruction in producing mathematical documents, particularly posters, in LaTeX will be given and students will undertake a group research project that builds on the content of one of the components. The outcome of the project will be a poster.
- Using LaTeX to produce a simple document and a poster.
- Designing posters to explain mathematics.
- Three components on topics that may vary from year to year.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Visiting students are advised to check that they have studied the material covered in the syllabus of each pre-requisite course before enrolling.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 21,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 3,
Summative Assessment Hours 1,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Show an enhanced appreciation of the range of applications of mathematics.
- Demonstrate familiarity with a range of applications of mathematics.
- Use knowledge of basic techniques with important applications from three different components of the subject.
- Use LaTeX to prepare a simple mathematical document and poster.
- Demonstrate enhanced skills in teamwork.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Ivan Cheltsov
Tel: (0131 6)50 5060
|Course secretary||Mr Martin Delaney
Tel: (0131 6)50 6427