Postgraduate Course: Dental Clinic Management (MRES11007)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
|Course type||Online Distance Learning
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course is designed to review the management skills required for the lead clinician in a primary dental care clinic.
The course will use recorded lectures, directed reading, tutor-led discussion, group project work all supported by specific learning tasks. By working through a business development model students will review different elements of the clinic where they work.
It will review leadership skills, team-working and communication skills. It will also update knowledge about managing health and safety, including cross infection control, within the clinical environment. Elements of financial management and business planning will be included.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Students receive informal feedback/ feed forward from their on-line tutor on a weekly basis. Students receive formal feedback at the end of each semester on assessed course-work and written assignments.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the dental clinic as a business.
- Critically evaluate the financial budget for a primary dental care clinic by analyzing a set of accounts and providing an hourly rate calculation for the current business.
- Demonstrate the ability to set and monitor standards of clinical governance within a primary dental care clinic.
- Analyse the problems associated with the management of a clinical team, and demonstrate the ability to provide solutions for these problems, in a series of scenarios.
- Critically appraise the information gathered about the status of the business and demonstrate the ability to synthesise a plan for the development of the business.
|The reading list is available through the University of Edinburgh online resource list system so that students are able to link directly to essential items and be signposted to further reading.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Knowledge and understanding:
Possess core knowledge on the dental clinic as a business and the management required for that business
Skills and abilities in research and enquiry:
Possess skills in performing an assessment or audit of that business and be able to plan for business development
Skills and abilities in personal and intellectual autonomy:
Evaluate leadership skills and identify areas where personal development is required
Technical and practical skills:
Be able to perform a business analysis and business plan
|Keywords||Practice management,clinical leadership,team-working,financial management
|Course organiser||Dr Oonagh Lawrie
Tel: (0131) 536 3974
|Course secretary||Miss Jennifer Allison
Tel: (0131) 536 3975