Postgraduate Course: Digital System Design (MSc) (PGEE10008)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course is lecture based and is taken by students on the MSc in Electronics in Semester 2. It comprises one 22 lecture module with 8 tutorials. It is assessed 100% by examination. The course covers: Computer Architecture (from a hardware perspective); Components of Computers; Microprocessor Design; and Parallel Computing Architectures
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 20,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 10,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||2 hour Examination, Questions: 1 in Section A (20 marks), 2 from 3 in Section B (20 marks each), 60 marks total.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||2:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand digital logic.
- Understand the different types of computer: embedded, PCs, data-centres, supercomputing and be able to evaluate the design trade-offs.
- Discern the differences between software and hardware description languages.
- Evaluate processor performance: CPU time, instruction count, CPI, benchmarks, power consumption and cost effectiveness.
- Evaluate othe performance improvements from parallel computing architectures.
"Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface", D.A. Patterson and J.L. Hennesey, 5th Edition (MIPS), Morgan Kaufmann, 2013
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Stewart Smith
Tel: (0131 6)50 7471
|Course secretary||Mrs Megan Inch-Kellingray
Tel: (0131 6)51 7079