Postgraduate Course: Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning (PROS11002)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The aim of this course is to develop oral health assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning skills of patients requiring restorative dental care.
A fundamental corner stone in the management of any patient is a thorough dental examination, establishment of accurate diagnoses and formulation of evidence based treatment plans.
This course will explore all aspects of an oral health assessment including the following areas:
1. Completing an oral health assessment.
2. Special tests and investigations supplementing an oral health assessment.
3. Smile analysis.
4. Assessing the abutment tooth.
5. Diagnosing a range of common restorative problems.
6. Assessment of the edentulous space.
7. Formulating and implementing treatment plans.
Methods of delivery will involve weekly to fortnightly 2-3 hour discussion small tutorials/seminars, flipped lectures, problem based scenarios and case discussions. Students will also be asked to prepare material in advance and present some cases to discuss via a short presentations. Emphasis will be placed on students taking responsibility of exploring broader areas around the course themes.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||100% written exam
||Feedback is generally provided within three weeks of the exam date.
||Hours & Minutes
|Outwith Standard Exam Diets January||Prosthodontics Written Exam Year 1 Semester 1 - Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment Planning||1:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Development of assessment, diagnosis and treatment planning skills to support clinical activity.
- Enhance their knowledge of restorative problems that will support patient management and communication.
- Be able to diagnose problems requiring a team approach to care.
|Reading lists will be provided via learn VLE and Discovered.|
Additional supporting resources will be provide via pre-recorded lectures and clinical demonstrations accessible from Media Hopper (accessed through learn VLE).
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||At the end of this course, candidates should be able to:
1. Critically analyse special investigations used in oral health assessments.
2. Assess and diagnose common oral diseases that can affect teeth and their supporting structures.
3. Assimilate oral health assessment information and synthesise coherent treatment plans based on restorative clinical scenarios.
4. Critically appraise relevant scientific literature supporting current concepts in the management of common restorative problems.
|Course organiser||Dr Krishna Bhatia
Tel: (0131) 536 3976
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979