Postgraduate Course: Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics (PROS12003)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 12 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The aim of this course is review current scientific literature for traditional and contemporary treatment approaches for patients requiring fixed prosthodontic treatment solutions.
By completing this course students will establish knowledge of traditional and contemporary fixed prosthodontics treatment techniques. They will be encouraged to participate in group discussions focused on problem based scenarios.
This course will review key aspects of delivering fixed prosthodontics that are aimed to supplement clinical care and advance the students' knowledge in the field. Key topics covered during this course include:
1. Tooth preparation geometry.
2. Posts and cores for non-vital teeth.
3. Direct cores for vital teeth.
4. Strategic extractions in prosthodontics treatment.
5. Provisional restorations.
6. Contours and pontic design in fixed prosthodontics.
7. Soft tissue control.
8. Impression techniques.
9. Resin-retained and conventional bridgework design.
10. Marginal fit of indirect restorations.
11. Cementation of indirect restorations.
Delivery of this course will use a combination of lectures, seminars, pre-recorded lectures and problems based scenarios to supplement student self-study. Emphasis will be placed on students taking responsibility of exploring broader areas around the course themes.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2019/20, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||100% written exam
||Feedback is generally provided within three weeks of the exam date.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Critically apply their knowledge and understanding of fixed prosthodontics to clinical scenarios.
- Be able to problem solve fixed prosthodontic issues.
- Demonstrate the integration of fixed prosthodontics care with other dental specialities.
- Demonstrate their understanding of key information transfer to patients in order to gain informed consent.
|Reading lists will be provided via Learn VLE and Discovered.|
Additional supporting resources will be provide via pre-recorded lectures and clinical demonstrations accessible from Media Hopper (accessed through Learn VLE).
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||1. Develop comprehensive knowledge of fixed prosthodontic solutions
2. Understand the skills required in the clinical delivery of fixed prosthodontic care
3. Understand the impact of fixed prosthodontic techniques to allow effective communication to gain informed consent
|Course organiser||Dr Krishna Bhatia
Tel: (0131) 536 3976
|Course secretary||Ms Anna Atluri
Tel: (0131) 536 3979