Undergraduate Course: Chemical Engineering Design 4 (CHEE10010)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Chemical Engineering Design 4 covers the area of Chemical Engineering Process Design. The course consists of lectures and workshops to practice the detailed design of single process equipment and the design of a whole process. The course grounds on the critical use of the chemical engineering science earned in the previous years of the curriculum. Most of the lectures are delivered by academic staff but in some specialised areas talks are delivered by invited industrial speakers. In addition to lectures, learning takes the form of workshops undertaken on an individual or a group basis.
The course is organised on the following three macro knowledge areas:
a) Applied fundamental knowledge;
b) Tools for design;
c) Knowledge of chemical engineering practice;
The course makes use of engineering standards and comprises 10 sessions split between lectures workshops and covering the following topics:
1) Design practice and its open ended nature;
2) Chemical engineering design tools;
3) Standards-compliant drawings;
4) Detailed design of equipment for heat transfer, separation and storage;
5) Design of the safety system;
6) Assessment of dynamics in single units and processes;
7) Practical chemical engineering information
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 33,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||The number, timing and weightings of exercises contributing to the assessment will be communicated to the students at the beginning of the course.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Communicate the output of the design process in formats approaching the industrial practice such as Piping and Instrumentation Diagram, Equipment Sketches and Specification Sheets.
- Use the tools proper of the chemical engineering design work for project communication and process calculation.
- Perform detailed design of specific process equipment for heat transfer or separation or storage.
- Design a process at steady-state, assess its operation in dynamics to assess the control strategy, the safety system and in special conditions such as at the start-up and shut-down.
- Assess the level of protection required by a plant from extreme operating conditions.
|Coulson & Richardson's Chemical Engineering Series, 4th Edition, Chemical Engineering Design, Volume 6, Sinnott|
Turton, Bailie, Whiting, Shaeiwitz and Bhattacharyya's Analysis, Synthesis and Design of Chemical Processes (4th Edition)
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Chemical Engineering Design
|Course organiser||Dr Nasser Afify
Tel: (0131 6)51 7071
|Course secretary||Mrs Shona Barnet
Tel: (0131 6)51 7715