Undergraduate Course: French Hons - Language Paper 2 (ELCF10003)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course is based on French texts in a range of styles, genres and registers and on a wide range of exercises and activities, which include polished translation, unseen translation, speed translation, the comparative analysis of published translations, translation commentary, negotiated group translation and various vocabulary-building exercises.
Coursework will include 2 Assessed Exercises which, taken together, will make up 20% of the formal course assessment. See 'Assessment'.
The final-year translation course aims
- to consolidate and further develop skills acquired in first and second year;
- to promote awareness of the translation issues raised by different genres, styles and registers;
- to help students to develop a range of translation strategies and approaches which can be adapted to the needs of a given translation situation and to the demands of a given text;
- to promote awareness of the importance of precision, nuance, ambiguity and idiom in translation;
- to promote active reading approaches to authentic French language materials;
- to develop further transferable skills acquired at earlier stages of the course (analysis, evaluation, negotiation, lateral thinking, etc.).
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
French 2 (ELCF08001)
||Other requirements|| Entry to Honours in French
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 22,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Wikis, prepared in small groups, uploaded weekly: 20%
(by participation; 1 = 10%, 2 = 20% etc.)
Semester 1 Assessment 1: 10%
Semester 2 Assessment 2: 10%
End-of-year translation (7 day take home or in-situ, circs dependent): 60 % (1 x 200 words passage; Commentary on 3 strategic decisions (75%/25%))
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- translate competently from French in a variety of styles and registers and in a range of genres;
- utilise a broad range of French vocabulary and idiom;
- take into account the importance of register, idiom and nuance in translation
- recognise the syntactical and idiomatic differences between French and English;
- analyse and evaluate translation issues raised by linguistically complex French texts.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||Times and venues of tutorials will be indicated on your personalised timetables.
|Keywords||DELC Fr 4 LP2
|Course organiser||Dr Katharine Swarbrick
Tel: (0131 6)50 8415
|Course secretary||Mrs Elsie Gach
Tel: (0131 6)50 8421