Undergraduate Course: German 2 Literature and Culture (ELCG08007)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The course consists of selected texts from the eighteenth to the twentieth centuries studied in one two-hour Literature/Culture Seminar per week, in both semesters.
Building on work done in German 1B, the literary/cultural course for German 2 consists of selected texts from the eighteenth, nineteenth and twentieth/twenty-first centuries studied in one two-hour seminar per week. The individual sessions are taught by lecturers who specialise in these particular research areas. The literature groups are larger than the literature tutorials in German 1B and are designed to acquaint students with the type of teaching they will encounter in German-speaking universities. Students write one essay (circa 2,000 words) in each semester on one of the topics covered in that semester's work, one of which may be written in German.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Entry to any language course above introductory level is subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser. Visiting Students should also take as a co-requisite German 2 Language (ELCG08008)
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- engage with their acquired knowledge about specific areas of German literature and film.
- analyse critically texts of a variety of genres and to use a variety of methodologies to do so.
- convey complex information in written and oral form.
- work effectively both independently and as part of a group.
|The best way to access the reading list/bibliography is via Learn: click on 'Resource List' on the left hand menu on the homepage for German 2, from where there is a link that takes you directly to the resource list.|
Alternatively, you can go to the generic website for resource lists, (http://resourcelists.ed.ac.uk/index.html) and search under 'German 2'.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Graduates will be able to:
1. gather, select and apply information and concepts from a variety of primary and secondary sources
2. demonstrate acquisition of certain transferable skills, including ability to criticise, evaluate and interpret evidence, to consider a problem from a number of different perspectives, to accommodate ambiguity and advance reasonable conjectures, to argue cogently and effectively
3. present their ideas clearly and cogently in both oral and written form
4. work efficiently and effectively individually and as part of a group
|Keywords||DELC,German 2,literature and culture
|Course organiser||Dr Frauke Matthes
Tel: (0131 6)51 1483
|Course secretary||Miss Gillian Paterson
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646