Undergraduate Course: Turkish 2 (IMES08011)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course builds on the foundations laid in Turkish 1. It provides further development of modern linguistic skills. The course includes a weekly session of practice in spoken Turkish.
Turkish 2 (year-long) aims to teach the structure of the Turkish language through Istanbul B1 (1st semester) and Istanbul B2 (2nd semester) course books.
Istanbul B1 covers adverbial clauses, the past continuous tense, and adverbial phrases, gerunds and infinitives, indirect speech, modal verbs (obligation and necessity) in the present and past forms, wish and if clauses, and subordinating verbs in Turkish.
Istanbul B2 covers until/till suffixes, the passive voice, when and while suffixes, the causative and the relative clause suffixes, the reported speech and conjunctions, the punctuation. A selection of short literary texts and essays in modern Turkish will also be studied.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Turkish 1B (IMES08049)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||If you are a visiting student you must pass a placement test. This test will take place during Welcome week. Please contact the IMES office (1/24 - 19 George Square) by email at email@example.com
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 78,
Summative Assessment Hours 8,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework 40% weekly assignments including Oral (synchronous/asynchronous oral activities) and Written components (i.e. Translation, Writing, Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary activities)
Time-Limited Assignment 60% (written and oral components)
||For the mid term tests, students will be given the chance to review their answer sheets/marks and the course organiser will go through all the questions with students. For the oral exams, detailed feedback will be provided upon request.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Turkish 2||0:05|
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||Turkish 2||3:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||Turkish 2||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- understand straightforward information about everyday related topics, follow clear speech directed at them, and follow some programmes on the Internet, TV and radio on topics of personal interest.
- understand the main points in straightforward texts and subjects of personal interest, read through factual texts in magazines and newspapers, and read short samples of text from novels.
- start a conversation on topics that are familiar, describe incidents, express their feelings, give prepared presentations, give practical instructions on how to do something and express their opinions on topics of personal interest.
- write about a variety of familiar subjects well enough for others to follow their story or argument, and write a detailed description of an experience, dream and imaginary event including feelings and reactions.
- translate intermediate level texts from Turkish into English and vice versa.
Core coursebook: Istanbul Yabancilar icin Turkce Ders Kitabi (B1 and B2), by Istanbul Universitesi Dil Merkezi (Istanbul Kultur Sanat Basimevi, 2013)
Turkish Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook, by Emine Cakir and and Berna Akca (Teach Yourself, 2018)
Turkce Okuyorum 1& 2, by Hakan Yilmaz (Dilmer Yayinlari, 2007, 2010)
Yeni Hitit Yabancilar Icin Turkce (B1and B2) by Ankara Universitesi Turkce Ogretim Merkezi (Ankara, 2013)
Berlitz Turkish-English/English-Turkish Dictionary
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Turkish 2
|Course organiser||Dr Hilal Kaya
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161