Postgraduate Course: Persian 1A for Postgraduates (IMES08028)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||An integrated course in spoken and written modern Persian. All the common grammatical structures are studied, translation done both from and into Persian, and a basic vocabulary and set of idioms are built up. Particular attention is paid to oral work.
This course is designed to introduce students to the Persian language. The course teaches how to read and write the Persian script and introduces the main features of Persian grammar together with a basic vocabulary in an interactive communicative setting. It is designed to provide students with the key tools to understand, speak, read and write elementary Persian. The class follows a combination of the exercises and photocopied extracts from different books. Translation exercises are regularly given as homework, which is later corrected and analysed.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
||Please contact the School directly for a breakdown of Learning and Teaching Activities
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework: 40% (weekly assessments)
Exam: 60% (end of term Time-Limited assignment - written (80%) and oral (20%) components)
||Feedback is frequently given to students in different forms for their different tasks such as home works, translations, weekly tests, compositions, oral presentations and aural exercises. Both oral and written, individual and group feedback are given for during the semester. Both summative and formative feedbacks are important.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Persian 1A for Postgraduates||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- This is a one semester course. Upon successful completion of the course students will acquire elementary acquaintance with basic structures of Persian grammar, script and pronunciation.
- Students will be able to identify, describe and manipulate a range of linguistic forms and structures in reading, writing, and conversation.
- Students will be able to read elementary texts in Persian (50-70 words), and carry on basic conversation in elementary Persian.
- Students will be able to write grammatically sound sentences and communicate basic factual information in writing.
- Learning of language takes place against a context of Persian culture and civilization. Students will acquire a basic knowledge of Iranian culture.
|Saffar Moqaddam, A. (1997), Farsi 1, council for development of Persian language and literature, Tehran (The handbook will be available at the departmental office)|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Persian1A PG
|Course organiser||Dr Azin Mostajer Haghighi
Tel: (0131 6)50 8433
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161