Postgraduate Course: Persian 1B for Postgraduates (IMES08029)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||An integrated course in spoken and written modern Persian. All the common grammatical structures are studied, translation done both from and into Persian, and a basic vocabulary and set of idioms are built up. Particular attention is paid to oral work.
The course follows a combination of the exercises and photocopied extracts from different books. Translation, writing and grammar exercises are regularly given as homework, which is later corrected and analysed. Persian poetry and prose readings are also will be introduced in later stages of the course.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
||Please contact the School directly for a breakdown of Learning and Teaching Activities
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework (weekly assignments) 40%
End of Term Time-Limited Assignment 60%
If Hybrid model continues online time limited exam with written and oral component
||Feedback is frequently given to students in different forms for their different tasks such as home works, translations, weekly tests, compositions, oral presentations and aural exercises. Both oral and written, individual and group feedback are given for during the semester. Both summative and formative feedbacks are important.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- This is a one semester course. Upon successful completion of the course students will acquire knowledge of different structures of Persian grammar. They will be able to form longer sentences through joining phrases and write in different tenses in Persian.
- Students will be able to read and write a 70-100 words passage in Persian.
- Students will be able to understand simple everyday familiar topics and carry on conversation in elementary Persian to introduce them and describe simple situations.
- Students will be able to carry out basic 50-70 words passage translation from and into Persian.
- Learning of language takes place against a context of Persian culture and civilization. Students will acquire a knowledge of Iran¿s Ancient and contemporary history and culture.
|Saffar Moqaddam, A. (1997), Farsi 1, council for development of Persian language and literature, Tehran (The handbook will be available at the departmental office)|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Persian1B PG
|Course organiser||Dr Azin Mostajer Haghighi
Tel: (0131 6)50 8433
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161