Undergraduate Course: Turkish 2a (IMES08052)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Turkish 2a builds on the foundations laid in Turkish 1a and Turkish 1b. It provides further development of linguistic skills in the modern language, including expanding the students' knowledge of grammatical structures and regular practice of spoken Turkish.
Turkish 2a aims to teach the structure of the Turkish language through Istanbul B1 course book. This book covers adverbial clauses, the past continuous tense, and adverbial phrases, gerunds and infinitives, indirect speech, modal verbs (obligation and necessity) in the present and past forms, wish and if clauses, and subordinating verbs in Turkish.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Turkish 1B (IMES08049)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||If you are a visiting student you must pass a placement test. This test will take place during Welcome week. Please contact the IMES office (1/24 - 19 George Square) by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 39,
Summative Assessment Hours 4,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework 40% weekly assignments including Oral (synchronous/asynchronous oral activities) and Written components (i.e. Translation, Writing, Reading Comprehension and Vocabulary activities)
Final Exam¿(60%): online exam with written and oral component
||For the mid term tests, students will be given the chance to review their answer sheets/marks and the course organiser will go through all the questions with students. For the oral exams, detailed feedback will be provided upon request.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Turkish 2a||3:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||Turkisn 2a||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- understand straightforward information about everyday related topics, follow clear speech directed at them, and follow some programmes on the Internet on topics of personal interest.
- understand the main points in straightforward texts and subjects of personal interest, read through simple factual texts in magazines and newspapers, and read simple versions of short stories.
- start a conversation on topics that are familiar, describe incidents, express their feelings, give prepared presentations, give practical instructions on how to do something and express their opinions on topics of personal interest.
- write about a variety of familiar subjects well enough for others to follow their story or argument, and write a detailed description of a country s cuisine, books, films and music.
Core coursebook: Istanbul Yabancilar icin Turkce Ders Kitabi (B1), by Istanbul Universitesi Dil Merkezi (Istanbul Kultur Sanat Basimevi, 2013)
Turkish Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook, by Emine Cakir and and Berna Akca (Teach Yourself, 2018)
Turkce Okuyorum 1& 2, by Hakan Yilmaz (Dilmer Yayinlari, 2007, 2010)
Yeni Hitit Yabancilar Icin Turkce (B1) by Ankara Universitesi Turkce Ogretim Merkezi (Ankara, 2013)
Berlitz Turkish-English/English-Turkish Dictionary
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||- Communication skills
- Oral presentation competency
- Time management
|Course organiser||Dr Hilal Kaya
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161