Undergraduate Course: Intensive Persian (IMES10070)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The course is an intermediate level Persian language course for Honours students pursing a single or joint honours degree in Persian. It is worth 40 credits.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 70,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 5,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework Assignments¿Asynchronous (100%) ¿ total of 10 marked assignments (e.g. translation, oral presentations, listening comprehension, composition of text and analysis of text) submitted throughout the semester by weekly deadlines (Semester 1).
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Read and understand texts from newspapers and news websites with familiar topics and texts on subjects of personal interests. Translate a paragraph (around 100 words) from and into Persian on familiar topics related to lifestyle, social issues and culture.
- Understand information about everyday related topics, follow clear speech directed at them, and follow some TV programmes on familiar topics.
- Write text to explain the main points relating to an idea, social issue, or form a reasonable argument.
- Describe social situations, personal experiences, opinions and can develop an argument. They can prepare presentations and answer questions. Understand and acquire sufficient range of vocabulary to describe a variety of situations and to express opinions and thoughts on abstract, social and cultural topics.
- Obtain a deeper understanding of Persian civilization and culture through their reading, aural and oral class material.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Azin Mostajer Haghighi
Tel: (0131 6)50 8433
|Course secretary||Ms Monique Brough
Tel: (0131 6)50 3618