Postgraduate Course: MSc Islamic and Middle Eastern Studies Dissertation (IMES11014)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The dissertation will be 15,000 words in length (excluding the bibliography).
Students will receive regular supervision and will be expected to liaise regularly with their supervisor and submit material for comment at agreed times. Supervisors will not read and comment on full drafts of the dissertation.
Information about the progression to dissertation is available in the Taught Assesment Regulations.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
||Block 5 (Sem 2) and beyond
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Dissertation/Project Supervision Hours 5,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 5,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 12,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||One dissertation of 15,000 words.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Formulate a research problem
- Undertake a sustained piece of independent research within the disciplinary fields of Middle Eastern studies that demonstrates the research skills, training and knowledge acquired in the previous coursework
- Engage critically and analytically with the relevant primary and secondary literature in the field of their specialist interest
- Utilise relevant theories, theoretical frameworks and concepts in tackling a research problem
- Demonstrate scrupulous attention to the relevant data-analytical, referencing and bibliographic conventions.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Andreas Goerke
Tel: (0131 6)50 4177
|Course secretary||Ms Monique Brough
Tel: (0131 6)50 3618