Undergraduate Course: Methods in Theoretical Linguistics (LASC10109)
|School||School of Philosophy, Psychology and Language Sciences
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||In this course you will become familiar with the core techniques used by theoretical linguists to build theories, design hypothesis-driven studies to test those theories, and disseminate your findings.
This course helps you to develop a practical understanding of how to conduct research in theoretical linguistics. Topics to be covered include:
- Objects of study and large-scale research goals in theoretical linguistics;
- What is a linguistic theory? How do hypotheses relate to theories?
- Types of argument in theoretical linguistics;
- Types of evidence, and the relationship between theory and data;
- How to produce and disseminate theoretical research, and how to review theoretical work.
The course is designed to help you identify your own research question in theoretical linguistics, and conduct research to address your research question.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Visiting students should have completed at least 3 Linguistics/Language Sciences courses at grade B or above. We will only consider University/College level courses.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the role of theory in linguistic research
- Derive predictions from established theories
- Develop, test, and reformulate hypotheses
- Identify and evaluate appropriate data sources for testing empirical hypotheses
- Develop skills in the presentation of structured theoretical arguments
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||By taking the course, students will develop skills in:
- critical thinking
- structured argumentation
- hypothesis formulation
- hypothesis testing
|Course organiser||Dr Robert Truswell
Tel: (0131 6)51 5511
|Course secretary||Miss Chloe Anderson
Tel: (0131 6)50 9870