Undergraduate Course: Labour Law (LAWS10073)
|School||School of Law
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The contract of employment and the employment relationship; contractual terms (including their interpretation and alteration); wages regulation; termination of employment (including unfair dismissal and redundancy); sex and race discrimination legislation; trade unions and collective bargaining; industrial conflict (including the right to strike and the legal regulation of industrial action); trade union democracy and trade union members' rights.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| Spaces on this course are allocated as part of the Law Honours Course Allocation process. Places are generally only available to students who must take Law courses. To request a space on this course, please email Law.UGO@ed.ac.uk
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||This course is only open to visiting students coming through a direct exchange with the School of Law (including Erasmus students on a Law-specific Exchange). Exchange students outside of Law and independent study abroad students are not eligible to enrol in this course, with no exceptions.
**Please note that 3rd year Law courses are high-demand, meaning that they have a very high number of students wishing to enrol in a very limited number of spaces.**
Priority will be given to students studying on exchange within the Law department, and it is highly unlikely that there will be additional spaces for general exchange students & independent study abroad students to enrol; we will look into this on a case-by-case basis in September/January. Visiting students are advised to bear in mind that enrolment in specific courses can never be guaranteed, and you may need to be flexible in finding alternatives in case your preferred courses have no available space.
These enrolments are managed strictly by the Visiting Student Office, in line with the quotas allocated by the department, and all enquiries to enrol in these courses must be made through the CAHSS Visiting Student Office. It is not appropriate for students to contact the department directly to request additional spaces.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2020/21, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 38,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||The coursework will comprise two essays, one of 3000 words (33%) and the other of 6000 words (67%).
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Aims of the course: to provide an in-depth study of selected aspects of Labour Law in the UK and to promote advanced knowledge and understanding of the theory, concepts and rules of UK Labour Law in their socio-economic, institutional and historical frameworks.
- Learning objective: a detailed knowledge and understanding of important aspects of UK Labour Law
- Learning objective: experience in critical analysis of issues and oral and written communication of the results of the analysis
- Learning objective: experience in working on your own, research and reading and understanding texts on the subject
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Mr David Cabrelli
Tel: (0131 6)50 2068
|Course secretary||Ms Krystal Hanley
Tel: (0131 6)50 2056