Postgraduate Course: Corporate Social Responsibility and the Law (LAWS11203)
|School||School of Law
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Corporate social responsibility, once seen as just a matter of voluntary good practice, or indeed PR, has now become very much a legal issue. Company law has begun to adopt a wider framework than the traditional focus on directors duties to shareholders. International human rights law explicitly brought corporate responsibility into its domain. Private law is increasingly used to enforce what were once seen as voluntary or extra-legal commitments. The result is a widening of the legal concept of corporate responsibility and with it, both the legal accountability and the legal liability of business, nationally and internationally.
This course analyses the new approach to corporate social responsibility, tracing its origins and exploring pertinent current developments in various fields, including company law, supply chain, international human rights, tax law or trust law. As this list demonstrates, the course is wide-ranging, though always focused on the specific issue of corporate responsibility. It draws on legislation and cases from the UK, Europe, further jurisdictions and international law.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Understand the contemporary issues concerning corporate social responsibility;
- Critically analyse the meaning of corporate social responsibility and its relation to the law;
- Critically analsye the role of corporate law, environmental law, human rights law, trust law and other legal areas studied in promoting corporate social responsibility in the UK and a number of other jurisdictions
- Demonstrate developed skills of reading and critical analysis;
- Demonstrate developed written and oral skills, including the clear and succint expression of ideas.
|Doreen McBarnet et al (eds) The New Corporate Accountability: Corporate Social Responsibility and the Law|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Corporate Social Responsibility,business ethics,human rights,environmental law,socially responsi
|Course organiser||Dr Remus Valsan
Tel: (0131 6)50 2008
|Course secretary||Miss Lauren Ayre
Tel: (0131 6)50 2002