Postgraduate Course: Turkish 1A for Postgraduates (IMES08040)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The course will cover basics of Turkish language, alphabet, vowel harmony, simple, past and future tenses. Topic-based vocabulary will be provided. Simple dialogue will be introduced.
During the first semester the syllabus design will be as follows:
the alphabet, vowel harmony, days of the week, months, seasons, numbers, colours, telling time, adjectives - comparative and superlative forms, progressive tense, past tense, future tense, basic vocabulary, pronouns and simple dialogue, greetings.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Students will learn to read and write short paragraphs in Turkish.
- Students will acquire knowledge of some of the basic features of Turkish grammar.
- Students will acquire some basic Turkish vocabulary.
- Students will learn to exchange greetings, introduce themselves and engage confidently in basic conversations.
- Students will learn to translate elementary texts from Turkish into English and vice versa.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Turkish 1A PG
|Course organiser||Dr Hilal Kaya
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161