Undergraduate Course: Turkish 2b (IMES08053)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Turkish 2b is designed to lead on from Turkish 2a and provides further development of the students' linguistic skills in modern Turkish, both written and oral.
Turkish 2b aims to teach the structure of the Turkish language through Istanbul B2 course book. This book covers until/till suffixes, the passive voice, when and while suffixes, the causative and the relative clause suffixes, the reported speech and conjunctions, the punctuation. A selection of short literary texts and essays in modern Turkish will also be studied.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Turkish 2a (IMES08052)
||Other requirements|| Student must pass Turkish 2a or sit the entrance test before enrolling. For further information contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Students must pass Turkish 2a to take this course or take a entrance test. Please contact email@example.com
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2021/22, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 39,
Summative Assessment Hours 4,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
Exam: 90% (Written exam 80% and oral 20%)
||For the mid term tests, students will be given the chance to review their answer sheets/marks and the course organiser will go through all the questions with students. For the oral exams, detailed feedback will be provided upon request.
||Hours & Minutes
|Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)||Turkish 2b||3:00|
|Resit Exam Diet (August)||Turkish 2b||3:00|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- understand straightforward information about everyday related topics, follow clear speech directed at them, and follow some programmes on the Internet, TV and radio on topics of personal interest.
- understand the main points in straightforward texts and subjects of personal interest, read through factual texts in magazines and newspapers, and read short samples of text from novels.
- start a conversation on topics that are familiar, describe incidents, express their feelings, give prepared presentations, give practical instructions on how to do something and express their opinions on topics of personal interest.
- write about a variety of familiar subjects well enough for others to follow their story or argument, and write a detailed description of an experience, dream and imaginary event including feelings and reactions.
Core coursebook: Istanbul Yabancilar icin Turkce Ders Kitabi (B2), by Istanbul Universitesi Dil Merkezi (Istanbul Kultur Sanat Basimevi, 2013)
Turkish Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook, by Emine Cakir and and Berna Akca (Teach Yourself, 2018)
Turkce Okuyorum 1& 2, by Hakan Yilmaz (Dilmer Yayinlari, 2007, 2010)
Yeni Hitit Yabancilar Icin Turkce (B2) by Ankara Universitesi Turkce Ogretim Merkezi (Ankara, 2013)
Berlitz Turkish-English/English-Turkish Dictionary
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||- Communication skills
- Oral presentation competency
- Time management
|Course organiser||Dr Hilal Kaya
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161