Postgraduate Course: Persian 2B for Postgraduates (IMES09002)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course provides a further development of linguistic skills in the modern language. Grammatical structures and Persian idioms are studied at a higher level and oral skills are developed. Selected texts in Modern Persian are studied.
This course provides deeper understanding of grammar and linguistic skills in modern Persian. Detailed grammatical structures are provided. Oral skills are further developed through covering social and everyday topics. Selected texts in Modern Persian are studied. Aural skills are further developed by use of media. Vocabulary will cover a range of different social and cultural topics. There will be weekly quizzes and exercises to enhanced language skills. Translation is an important part of this course with regular translation home works and exercises.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Persian 2A for Postgraduates (IMES09001)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Upon successful completion of the course students will acquire a good grasp of intermediate Persian grammar. They will be able to read and understand straightforward texts in intermediate texts in Persian. They will be able to read and understand simple reports from newspapers.
- Students will be able to carry on intermediate level conversation in Persian. They will be able to describe a variety of familiar subjects and communicate in detail about their experiences, ideas, opinion.
- Students will be able to understand main points of discussion on familiar topics and everyday subjects. They will be able to understand straightforward information on familiar everyday topics.
- Students will be able to compose a text of 150 words on different familiar topics and explain, describe and discuss the subject forming longer sentences and using a variety of grammatical constructions such as different conjunctions. They will be able to translate a paragraph (around 70 words) from and into Persian.
- Students will assimilate information about Iranian culture. They will obtain a deeper understanding of Iran¿s history, literature, art and culture.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Persian2B PG
|Course organiser||Dr Azin Mostajer Haghighi
Tel: (0131 6)50 8433
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161