Postgraduate Course: Arabic 1a (IMES11064)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Arabic 1a is an elementary course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). It also introduces students to the fundamentals of spoken Arabic. It is worth 20 credits and runs in Semester 1 only. No previous knowledge of Arabic is required for entry to the course.
Arabic 1a is an elementary course in Modern Standard Arabic (MSA). It also introduces students to the fundamentals of spoken Arabic. It is worth 20 credits and runs in Semester 1 only. No previous knowledge of Arabic is required for entry to the course.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Read and write the Arabic script.
- Use basic Arabic grammatical structures such as nominal sentences, noun-adjective phrases, the iDaafa, and verbs in the past tense.
- Use Arabic vocabulary related to basic topics such as family, greetings, professions, describing people and places, food and drink, and past events.
- Use Spoken Arabic confidently to engage in basic conversations, including greetings, introductions, talking about one's family, and talking about past events.
- Read and extract the basic information from short texts, and write short narrative essays in Modern Standard Arabic.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||IMES Arabic 1a
|Course organiser||Dr Jona Fras
Tel: (0131 6)50 3625
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Budo
Tel: (0131 6)50 4161