Postgraduate Course: Advanced Arabic G (IMES11081)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Advanced Arabic G is designed for candidates with either an undergraduate degree in Arabic or an equivalent qualification in Modern Standard Arabic. The course will consolidate this knowledge and provide the student with advanced communication skills to enable him or her to function in Arabic at an academic or professional level. Language teaching will be intensive and the course will be geared to modern communication. To achieve this students will be taught Intermediate Egyptian Colloquial Arabic as well as exposed to Levantine Arabic, which will be integrated with Media Arabic. This will include a selection of communicative listening, reading and writing activities as well as e-learning tasks. For MSc Advanced Arabic students, Advanced Arabic G will prepare students to make rapid progress during their study abroad period with Advanced Arabic I.
The outline below offers an indication of course content (although this may vary year to year):
1. Exploratory Week
2. Arabic Language and the Teaching of Arabic
3. Music & Film in the Arab World
4. Sport in the Arab World
5. Religious Minorities in the Arab World
6. Revision/Innovative Week
7. Women in the Arab World
8. The Arab Spring & Society
9. Media in the Arab World
10. Arabic Popular Culture & Literature
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| Course only available to students on the MSc in Advanced Arabic, MSc in Middle Eastern Studies with Advanced Arabic or MSc in International Relations of the Middle East with Advanced Arabic.
FOR STUDENTS IN YEAR 2 OF AN ARABIC PROGRAMME: YOU MUST HAVE PASSED ARABIC D/E AND GONE ABROAD WITH ARABIC F IN ORDER TO TAKE THIS COURSE. YOU MUST PASS THIS COURSE AT POSTGRADUATE LEVEL (50%+) TO PROGRESS TO ADVANCED ARABIC H.
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- understand in detail lengthy, complex texts in different domains.
- understand enough to follow extended speech on abstract and complex topics of academic or vocational relevance.
- listen to Arabic interviews and summarise their content.
- enhance his/her aural, oral and reading abilities in Egyptian colloquial Arabic and/or Levantine Arabic as well as ability to read critical essays in Modern Standard Arabic.
- write clear, well-structured texts on complex topics in an appropriate style with good grammatical control.
|All material will be provided by IMES teaching staff.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||* the ability to deliver clear & concise presentations
* the ability to communicate in and understand the language of another culture
* the ability to code switch from different registers of language
* the ability to learn a language intensively over a short period
|Course organiser||Mr Jonathan Featherstone
Tel: (0131 6)51 1531
|Course secretary||Ms Monique Brough
Tel: (0131 6)50 3618