Postgraduate Course: Landscape Construction 1: Detailed Design (ARCH11190)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Landscape Construction 1: Detailed Design focuses on landscape design at a detailed scale, and is delivered through lectures, site visits, and a studio based design project/s. The course aims to:
1. enable exploration of a range of materials commonly used in landscape architecture, and to provide the opportunity for appropriate selection through the creative development and resolution of a detailed design.
2. introduce basic structural principles and to provide the opportunity for their application through the creative development and resolution of a detailed design.
3. enable development and testing of graphic communication skills and techniques.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Explore, select, and apply a range of hard landscape materials to the resolution of a detailed design project.
- Apply a knowledge and understanding of structural principles to the resolution of a detailed design project
- Communicate a detailed design project clearly through the application of a range of appropriate graphic techniques.
- Demonstrate an understanding of scale and composition, and deliver a clear design intent through to the resolution of a detailed design project
|Beazley, E (1990) Design & detail of the space between buildings. Spon.|
Blanc, A (1996) Landscape construction and detailing. Batsford.
Downing, M F (1977) Landscape construction. Spon.
Munson, A E (1974) Construction & Design for Landscape Architects. McGraw-Hill.
Strom S. & Nathan, K. (1998) Site Engineering for Landscape Architects. Wiley NY.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||critical analysis, orgainzation and setting aims
creative problem solving
communication and presentation skills: graphical and verbal
|Course organiser||Ms Elinor Scarth
Tel: (0131 6)51 5887
|Course secretary||Mrs Anne Davis
Tel: (0131 6)50 6912