Postgraduate Course: Korean Language Beginner 2 (ASST07020)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 7 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The course will be taught in larger groups for introduction of language skills and grammar while separate oral tutorials will entail smaller groups. In the tutorials, students will be able to practise speaking and writing tutorials. Classes will be conducted in an interactive manner, combining PowerPoint presentations by the instructor and role play among students.
Students should pass Korean Language Beginner 1 in the first semester to take this course or have equivalent Korean language ability.
Students will acquire an additional vocabulary of 1800-2000 Korean words. Students will also learn how to comprehend and compose short essays in Korean. Topics covered throughout the course will include travel plans, honorific marker,daily habits, weather, leisure activities, ordering food, and conversation with family members. The teaching activities will follow this pattern on a weekly basis:
- Conversation and Grammar class covers the Conversation and Grammar section of the textbooks.
- Reading and Writing class covers the Reading and Writing section of the textbooks.
- Workbook tutorial covers the Workbooks of the textbooks. There will be class test and quizzes throughout the year.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Read and comprehend short, simple texts written in the Korean script (Hangul), on a range of topics.
- Comprehend basic audio passages of dialogues between native Korean speakers.
- Communicate at an elementary level of Korean in situations of daily routine, such as ordering food in a restaurant, discussing the weather, etc.
- Observe basic Korean cultural customs, such as using honorific/non-honorific language.
|Essential textbooks: |
New Sogang Korean 1B Student Book. Korean Language Education Centre, Sogang University Press. ISBN 978-89-7699-577-3
New Sogang Korean 2A Student Book. Korean Language Education Centre, Sogang University Press. ISBN 978-89-92491-26-6
New Sogang Korean 1b Student Book. Korean Language Education Centre, Sogang University
Press. ISBN 978-89-7699-578-0
New Sogang Korean 2a Student Book. Korean Language Education Centre, Sogang University Press. ISBN 978-89-92491-30-3
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Jointly taught with UG
|Course organiser||Dr Youngmi Kim
Tel: (0131 6)51 1363
|Course secretary||Mrs Vivien MacNish Porter
Tel: (0131 6)50 3528