Undergraduate Course: Chinese 2B (ASST08019)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Aimed primarily at intending Honours students and normally taken with Chinese 2A, Chinese 2B provides further intensive language work, especially reading of authentic literary and documentary texts, plus an introduction to Classical Chinese and courses in research skills and the history of China through documentary film.
This course is not available to native or near-native speakers of Chinese. If in doubt, contact the Course Organiser.
All students will be given a formative feedback exercise that will be helpful for the assessment for this course and students¿ general ongoing academic development.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- consolidate and deepen the skills in Chinese language taught in Chinese 2A.
- become familiar with more specialist material, including full-form characters and classical Chinese, which will be necessary for Honours-level study.
- acquire a comprehensive understanding of the history of modern China through watching documentary films made by both Chinese and non-Chinese film-makers.
- acquire an understanding of how to present a correctly formatted essay, including footnotes, bibliography and the incorporation of Chinese characters.
- develop skills in the production of short reviews of books and documentary films.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||AS Chinese 2B
|Course organiser||Dr Julian Ward
Tel: (0131 6)50 4226
|Course secretary||Mrs Vivien MacNish Porter
Tel: (0131 6)50 3528