Undergraduate Course: Donnchadh Ban Mac an t-Saoir (CELT10035)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Taught in Gaelic?||Yes
|Summary||The course studies the poetry of the eminent eighteenth-century poet Donnchadh Bàn Mac an t-Saoir. A key aspect of the course is the translation and discussion of selected primary texts representative of his work. The course thus demonstrates the range of his work and places him in the context of the lively Gaelic literary scene of the eighteenth century. In addition, the course examines the specific techniques Donnchadh Bàn employs as a producer of oral material, and the metrical and compositional strategies he uses to produce songs that contain a wealth of detailed description. The course pays particular attention to his use of common conventions that apply to orally composed material and to the innovative styles and themes he introduces into his work at the same time. Emphasis will be given to the appropriate methodological approaches and techniques of analysis relevant to different aspects of Donnchadh Bàn's work. The subject's links within the wider field of Gaelic literature of the time will lead to a more detailed understanding of the wider cultural and literary environment.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Please note pre-requisite requirements as stated above. Visiting students will be expected to demonstrate an equivalent level of competency in the Gaelic language.
Entry to this course is at the discretion of the Course Organiser and will be arranged on a case by case basis by the Visiting Student Office in consultation with the department.
**Please note: this course will be taught in Gaelic**
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- demonstrate a sound knowledge of the poetry of Donnchadh Bàn Mac an t-Saoir and its place within the Gaelic canon;
- evaluate Donnchadh Bàn's poetry in terms of the characteristics of orally composed material;
- demonstrate an understanding of the place and connections of the poet's output in relation to the work of other Gaelic poets in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries;
- analyse Donnchadh Bàn's poetry in terms of metre, style, and imagery;
- demonstrate competence in transferable skills, e.g. close engagement with texts, critical evaluation of source material, independent reading, coherent and clearly structured writing, oral presentation, group discussion, time management.
|Course organiser||Dr Anja Gunderloch
Tel: (0131 6)51 1374
|Course secretary||Mrs Vivien MacNish Porter
Tel: (0131 6)50 3528