Undergraduate Course: Practical Skills in Chemical Engineering (CHEE08018)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The School of Engineering undergraduate degrees in Chemical Engineering are accredited by The Institution of Chemical Engineers (IChemE). Requirements are specified in the Accreditation of Higher Education Programmes (AHEP), and include gaining practical skills.
Students on an Engineering degree will gain these skills as part of laboratory work that is undertaken in a variety of courses throughout the programme specified in the relevant Degree Programme Table. This course marks the successful completion of these practical elements by complementing learning outcomes not addressed in earlier practical courses as a consequence of the disruption to traditional laboratory delivery.
- have a knowledge and understanding of laboratory practice, and able to operate bench (or larger) scale chemical engineering equipment;
- be able to undertake well-planned experimental work;
- gain the necessary psychomotor and sensor awareness to have a
Students will achieve a pass in this course when they have completed the following activities:
- Create effective risk assessments related to the laboratory and the experiments;
- Experimental planning before hands-on practice;
- Hands-on practical experience on operating bench or pilot scale chemical engineering equipment.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
||Other requirements|| Have attended neither Year 2 nor Year 3 chemical Engineering laboratory components in-person.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
||Please contact the School directly for a breakdown of Learning and Teaching Activities
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Practical Assessment: Pass awarded on completion
||Feedback is provided as part of standard course delivery.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Ability to apply relevant practical and laboratory skills;
- Understanding of and ability to create effective risk assessments related to laboratory experiments;
- Ability to plan the experimentation before hands-on;
- Hands-on practical experience on operating bench or pilot scale chemical engineering equipment;
- The necessary psychomotor and sensor awareness to be able to operate comfortable in a laboratory or plant environment.
|Chemical Engineering Laboratory 3 Manual and other suggested literature depending on the experiment/chapter allocated.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Practical Skills,Laboratory Experimentation,Lab Health and Safety,Bench Scale Equipment
|Course organiser||Dr Daniel Orejon Mantecon
Tel: (0131 6)50 5735
|Course secretary||Mrs Shona Barnet
Tel: (0131 6)51 7715