Undergraduate Course: Chemistry of Functional Materials Level 11 (CHEM11037)
|School||School of Chemistry
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||A lecture course covering the design, synthesis, properties and applications of a wide range of functional materials. Particular emphasis is given to electronic materials (conductors, semiconductors and superconductors), magnetic materials, meso- and microporous solids and polymers. The course comprises individual lecture courses on: The Electronic Properties of Solids, Organic Polymer Chemistry, Microporous and Mesoporous Materials, Electronic Structure of Solids and Transition Metal Oxides.
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use band theory in the form of the free electron model and the tight-binding approximation to describe the electronic structure of solids including superconductors
- Calculate the magnetic moment of lanthanide and orbitally quenched transition metal ions from their electronic configuration
- Interpret magnetic susceptibility data for paramagnets, antiferromagnets and ferromagnets and determine the sign and strength of exchange interactions from such data and interpret CMR
- Describe the structure, properties, synthesis and characterisation of microporous and mesoporous materials
- Understand and discuss the main polymer forming processes, and advanced aspects of the mechanisms of the reactions involved
|Solid State Chemistry, L. Smart and E. Moore, Chapman and Hall.|
Basic Solid State Chemistry, A.R. West, Wiley.
Solid State Chemistry and Its Applications, A.R. West, Wiley.
Solid State Chemistry: Techniques and Compounds (two books), A.K.Cheetham and P. Day, Clarendon.
New Directions in Solid State Chemistry, C.N.R. Rao and J. Gopalakrishnan, Cambridge.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
Numerical data interpretation and analysis
Unseen problem solving skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||30 hours lectures plus tutorials, at times arranged.
|Course organiser||Prof John Attfield
Tel: (0131 6)51 7229
|Course secretary||Mr Craig Smith
Tel: (0131 6)50 4710