Postgraduate Course: Cinema Auteurs 2 (CLLC11044)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Cinema Auteurs 2 focuses on the work of a number of important filmmakers who have developed distinct styles, using the much-debated concepts of the auteur and authorship in cinema as its springboard.
Cinema Auteurs 2 allows students to explore the work of important directors from around the world in detail. Key topics to be discussed include: the usefulness or obsolescence of the concept of individual authorship in cinema; cinema as both a highly collaborative art and activity and a means of individual artistic expression; the role of gender, sexuality and politics in considering issues of authorship; and the differences between mainstream and art cinema filmmakers.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Familiarity with the work of a selection of filmmakers
- Ability to conduct in-depth, critical analysis and comparative studies of a body of works in relation to current theoretical debates.
|* C. Paul Sellors. (2011). Film Authorship: Auteurs and Other Myths. New York: Columbia University Press. |
* Caughie, John (Ed.). (1981). Theories of Authorship: A Reader (Vol. British Film Institute Readers in Film Studies). London: Routledge & Kegan Paul in association with the British Film Institute.
* Gerstner, David A. and Staiger, Janet. (2003). Authorship and Film (Vol. AFI film readers). New York: Routledge.
* Grant, Barry Keith (Ed.) (2008). Auteurs and Authorship: A Film Reader. Malden, MA: Blackwell.
* Wollen, Peter. (1998). Signs and Meaning in the Cinema. London: BFI.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Chiara Quaranta
|Course secretary||Ms Monique Brough
Tel: (0131 6)50 3618