Postgraduate Course: Design Informatics Project (DESI11026)
|School||Edinburgh College of Art
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The project is student lead and negotiated through close liaison with an allocated supervisor, and developed from a student's particular interest in an aspect of the MA/MFA Design Informatics.
The module will:
1. Support the students ability to independently plan, carry out and articulate the development and application of specific design informatics production in the solution of a substantial practical problem to a high professional and critical standard.
2. Provide a significant context for individual enquiry and self directed study including developing specific skills, exploring a specific field of research and articulating a personal perspective based upon learning.
The project comprises of a significant design production that should be creative and experimental in its approach and placed within a critical theoretical context. Students will be expected to engage in technical as well as design and cultural concerns.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design and develop a significant artefact of high production values that integrates established design methods with digital technology and informatics systems..
- Develop and articulate a theoretical framework that supports the production of a manufactured artefact through a synthesis of critical theory and practice.
- Research a problem through the review of literature and design precedents, demonstrate the appropriate use of methods for speculative development and analysis, and the communication of meaningful findings.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Mrs Lynne Craig
|Course secretary||Ms Jane Thomson
Tel: (0131 6)51 5713