Undergraduate Course: Geology Dissertation (EASC10011)
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||An independent investigation in to a geological problem, collecting and analysing primary observations, and developing professional levels insights and interpretations, and presenting them in a comprehensive report.
In 2022/23, the Geology Dissertation has been adapted to account for disruption due to COVID19. 28 days of independent geological fieldwork will be undertaken at during the summer of 2022. Work on data analysis, interpretation, and presentation will continue in Semesters 1 and 2 back in Edinburgh.
The very comprehensive and detailed syllabus for the Geology Dissertation in previous years is available in Parts One and Two of the Handbook for the Geology Honours Dissertation Mapping Project (Blue Book), available from the course's LEARN site.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 11,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
Written Exam 0 %, Coursework 100 %, Practical Exam 0 %
The course is assessed entirely on the basis of the dissertation and associated documents. Primary observations (e.g. field notebook and field maps) and geological interpretation (e.g. cross sections) count for approximately 60% of the final mark. The written dissertation and final presentation of data (e.g. final map), including data presentation and display to support the arguments and interpretations, will provide the remaining ~40%. The final map and dissertation should be prepared to a professional standard. Marks will be deducted for poor presentation and writing.
Electronic copy of field documentation to Learn - Semester 1, 12 Noon, Tuesday Week 1.
The dissertation is to be submitted by Semester 2 Tuesday week 4, 12:00.
||Students will be advised by academic staff throughout the entire dissertation, including pre-fieldwork guidance and preparation from the CO, and introduction to their field area be an experienced member of staff. On return to Edinburgh, students will subsequently be assigned an advisor, who will provide feedback to student through the data processing and report writing phases. Additional feedback can be obtained from the course organiser where necessary.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Develop a detailed knowledge and understanding of a geological problem.
- Produce professional level insights, interpretations and solutions to problems and issues.
- Process information and data to make robust conclusions.
- Develop autonomy and problem solving skills.
- Write a comprehensive report that addresses a scientific problem.
|Relevant literature on the chosen field area.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||The dissertation develops a suite of attributes and skills of great relevance to a wide range of graduate careers. Students will develop and undertake independent geological research, utilizing the skillset they have developed in their degree.
||The options to conduct the field work as part of study abroad are laid out in the blue book.
|Keywords||Geology_dissertations,Independent field work
|Course organiser||Dr Andrew Bell
Tel: (0131 6)50 4777
|Course secretary||Mr Johan De Klerk
Tel: (0131 6)50 7010