Undergraduate Course: Geophysics Project 1 (EASC10052)
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course aims to develop independence in the skills of research, project design and management, develop oral and written reporting skills, to encourage high quality technical presentation and non-technical written summaries. Project work is your main chance to work on your own topic of interest and to show your own initiative and programming or experimental skills.
"Senior Honours Geophysics Projects" on LEARN.
Further information available via learn.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Research Training for Geophysics (EASC09055)
||Other requirements|| None
|Additional Costs|| None.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Conduct a comprehensive literature search relevant to a research topic and to select and summarise key findings.
- Understand how knowledge and understanding in the area is developed and some of the established techniques employed to achieve this.
- Have experience of the organisation and completion of an extended project where results and outcomes are not fully defined at the outset.
- Use advanced/specialised skills in research, e.g., laboratory, fieldwork, or computer analysis, practising significant autonomy and initiative.
- Produce a written report and give a oral presentation including a concise summary, description of methods and a critical discussion of results and conclusions.
|Supervisors will suggest project specific reading.|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||Semester 1: 2 days per week, weeks 2 to 11
|Keywords||GP Project 1
|Course organiser||Prof Simon Tett
Tel: (0131 6)50 5341
|Course secretary||Ms Katerina Sykioti
Tel: (0131 6)51 5251