Undergraduate Course: Portuguese Language 2 (ELCH08013)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course builds on the skills acquired in the first year, developing competence in spoken and written Portuguese with a view to preparing students for the challenges of working or studying abroad in year 3.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Passing Portuguese 1 or equivalent (CEFR Level B1)
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 43,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
Out of which continuous assessment 60%: E-Learning (12%), Project (12%), Presentation (7%), Class Test 1 (14.5%), Class Test 2 (14.5%)
End of Year Written Exam = 40%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Express themselves confidently and effectively in both written and spoken Portuguese in a range of situations and registers.
- Become familiar with the principal grammatical and lexical distinctions between European and Brazilian Portuguese.
- Possess a broad vocabulary and develop reading and listening comprehension skills
- Acquire a solid knowledge of issues pertinent to Portuguese, Brazilian and Lusophone African current affairs, through texts or recordings.
- Work effectively both independently and/or as part of a group.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||DELC Portuguese 2
|Course organiser||Miss Helena MacDonald
Tel: (0131 6)51 3089
|Course secretary||Ms Bronwen Jones
Tel: (0131 6)50 4026