Undergraduate Course: Computer Communications and Networks (INFR10074)
|School||School of Informatics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This is a comprehensive first course in Computer Communications and Networks, focusing on fundamental concepts, principles and techniques. The course will introduce basic networking concepts, including: protocol, network architecture, reference models, layering, service, interface, multiplexing, switching and standards. An overview of digital communication from the perspective of computer networking will also be provided.
Topics covered in this course include: Internet (TCP/IP) architecture and protocols, network applications, congestion/flow/error control, routing and internetworking, data link protocols, error detection and correction, channel allocation and multiple access protocols, communication media and selected topics in wireless and data centre networks. It will cover recent advances in network control and management architectures by introducing the concepts of software-defined networking (SDN) and network (function) virtualisation.
Students taking this course will gain hands-on experience in network programming using the socket API; network traffic/protocol analysis; and on assessment of alternative networked systems and architectures.
* Introduction to Computer Networking and the Internet
* Digital Communication Basics
* The Application Layer with comprehensive treatment of networked applications (incl. multimedia data and applications)
* The Transport Layer
* The Network Layer
* The Data Link Layer
* The Medium Access Control Sub-Layer
* The Physical Layer
* Software-defined networking (SDN)
* Network virtualisation and network function virtualisation (NFV)
* Network management
* Introduction to data centre and wireless networks
* Overview and selected aspects of network security
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| This course is open to all Informatics students including those on joint degrees. For external students where this course is not listed in your DPT, please seek special permission from the course organiser.
Students are also assumed to have basic programming expertise on Unix-type systems (e.g. Linux). Basic knowledge of operating systems would be helpful.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Summative assessment will be through biweekly online quizzes and two practical assignments (with one additional formative assignment). Biweekly quizzes contribute to 45% of the course mark. Practical assignments, making up the rest of the course mark (55%), target hands-on experience on design, implementation, measurement and analysis of networked systems and protocols.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- explain key networking concepts, principles, design issues and techniques at all protocol layers.
- contrast between different types of networks (e.g., wide area networks vs. local area networks, wired vs. wireless) in terms of their characteristics and protocols used.
- describe different types of networked applications and what underlying network protocols are needed to meet their diverse requirements.
- distinguish between control and data planes in computer networks, and their corresponding architectures in real-world networks (including the Internet).
- understand reliable transport protocols and networked system architectures via implementation using Socket APIs, measurement and analysis.
|* J.F. Kurose and K.W. Ross, "Computer Networking: A Top-Down Approach", 7th Edition, Pearson Education, 2017|
* L.L. Peterson and B.S. Davie, "Computer Networks: A Systems Approach", 5th Edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 2012
* A.S. Tanenbaum and D.J. Wetherall, "Computer Networks", 5th Edition, Pearson Education, 2011
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Characteristic 1: Knowledge and Understanding (Level 10)
Characteristic 2: Practice: Applied Knowledge, Skills and Understanding (Level 10)
Characteristic 3: Generic Cognitive Skills (Level 8)
Characteristic 4: Communication, ICT and Numeracy Skills (Level 5)
|Keywords||Computer communications,computer networks
|Course organiser||Dr Michio Honda
|Course secretary||Mrs Michelle Bain
Tel: (0131 6)51 7607