Undergraduate Course: Family Law (LAWS10075)
|School||School of Law
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The law relating to the family, including the law of husband and wife and parent and child. There will be emphasis on the law in relation to social change and on proposals for reform.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Family Law Ordinary (LAWS08101) OR
Family Law (Ordinary) (LAWS08126)
||Other requirements|| Spaces on this course are allocated as part of the Law Honours Course Allocation process. Places are generally only available to students who must take Law courses. To request a space on this course, please email Law.UGO@ed.ac.uk
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||This course is only open to visiting students coming through a direct exchange with the School of Law (including Erasmus students on a Law-specific Exchange). Exchange students outside of Law and independent study abroad students are not eligible to enrol in this course, with no exceptions.
**Please note that 3rd year Law courses are high-demand, meaning that they have a very high number of students wishing to enrol in a very limited number of spaces.**
Priority will be given to students studying on exchange within the Law department, and it is highly unlikely that there will be additional spaces for general exchange students & independent study abroad students to enrol; we will look into this on a case-by-case basis in September/January. Visiting students are advised to bear in mind that enrolment in specific courses can never be guaranteed, and you may need to be flexible in finding alternatives in case your preferred courses have no available space.
These enrolments are managed strictly by the Visiting Student Office, in line with the quotas allocated by the department, and all enquiries to enrol in these courses must be made through the CAHSS Visiting Student Office. It is not appropriate for students to contact the department directly to request additional spaces.
Students must have passed Family Law Ordinary (LAWS08126) or an equivalent course at their home institution.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 38,
Summative Assessment Hours 3,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||The course will be assessed by two essays: one delivered at the end of semester 1 (30%), and the other delivered at the end of semester 2 (70%).
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- The aims of this course are: to develop the analytical and critical skills of students by detailed examination of the contemporary problems which arise in the field of family law in Scotland, with reference to some comparative material from other jurisdictions; to foster critical understanding and evaluation of specific areas within the domain of family law; to instil in students an ability to criticise constructively current laws and to suggest and evaluate possible reforms in the light of prevailing social economic and political conditions; to develop the written and oral skills of students through class discussion and written assessment.
- By the end of this course students should be able: to draw on their expert knowledge of family law in Scotland to deal with problems in the field; to comment critically on the current state of the law; to formulate policy with respect to legal issues affecting families in Scotland; to use their knowledge to frame recommendations for law reform.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Mrs Kathleen MacFarlane
|Course secretary||Ms Dominique McKie
Tel: (0131 6)51 4550